Vibe_build-2                                                  14 foot mahogany beam was cut into 3 lengths. I drilled 4/ 3 Inch holes to fit the resonators

Vibe_build-3-2

Vibe_build-3

I cut a 20 foot 3″ copper pipe into 12 calculated lengths for each of the resonators

Vibe_build-5Vibe_build-6

The finished parts after drilling routing and sanding

Vibe_build-7

Resonators cut into lengths corresponding to the wavelengths of the key frequencies.

Vibe_build-8Vibe_build-9Vibe_build-10-2

I drilled and cut the resonators to hold the butterfly valve’s axles.

Vibe_build-10Vibe_build-11

Each resonator is sealed and plugged inside with a copper headed plug.

Vibe_build-12-2Vibe_build-12

The supports for the aluminum keys are cut and sanded.

Vibe_build-13

I cut the keys from 4 foot lengths of 7075 alloy aluminum. The were cut to slightly longer than their required frequency.

Vibe_build-14

I arched the underside of the keys by grinding away material. This lowers the tone of the key by up to an octave. Reducing the length and raising the volume of the bar.

Vibe_build-15

The bars were continuously ground at the ends and the arch to achieve the required tone.Grinding at the ends raises the pitch and cutting at the underside lowers the pitch.

Vibe_build-16

Assembly of the three primary parts.

Vibe_build-18

Supports for the keys were added above the resonators.The top support beam is used to hold the solenoids that sit above each of the keys. When activated they strike the keys.

Vibe_build-19Vibe_build-20

The keys are added. They are suspended above the support beam by custom made bolts. Each key is drilled at it’s nodal point (0.224 x Length) and threaded with nylon rope and tied to each of the bolts.

Vibe_build-21Vibe_build-22Vibe_build-23-2

The solenoid support beams are added.

Vibe_build-23

The solenoids were added. I attached felt dampers  to some of the solenoid hammers. The butterfly valves were set into the top of the resonators. I linked a 12V 60RPM motor to each of the butterfly valves. This creates a tremelo effect for each of the tones.

VIDEO TESTING THE VIBE>> PLAY

Vibe_build-24Vibe_build-25

Finally I assembled all three parts into a frame and suspended the entire piece within another custom built steel frame.

Vibe_build-26Vibe_build-27

Testing the code.I wrote all the code in Processing and Arduino. Twelve circuits control the 12 solenoids. An Arduino microprocessor controls the entire 12 circuits.

Vibe_build-28Vibe_build-29

The finished Vibe. A GLCD display was added and is controlled using a second Arduino microprocessor. Everything is controlled by the Processing sketch.

The_Vibe

Advertisements